How to apply for 2023 (cohort 17)
Please go to the page Requirements and read the page carefully. It explains the information and documents that will be requested during the application via our Online Application Tool. We only accept applications made through the Online Application Tool.
>> Please do not send any documents to us directly unless we specifically ask for them!
Online tool opens for applications for 2023
1 December 2022, 10:00 a.m. CET
Application deadline for applications for 2023 (cohort 17)
15 January 2023, 23:59:59 CET
Faculty available for supervision in 2022: here (internal link)
Information on funding opportunities: here (internal link)
Timeline for the application and admission processes in 2023
The online application tool will re-open on 1 December 2022 and close on 15 January 2023.
The interviews for applicants researching the second round will take place on in March/April 2023 (via Zoom and/or in person).
Invitations and further instructions for the interview stage will be sent out on or soon in early March 2023.
(In-person interviews in Berlin: Invited applicants will receive financial reimbursement for all or part of their travel expenses, depending on circumstances. Invitations will be sent out at least 4 weeks in advance to allow for visa applications.)
Successful applicants usually will receive their confirmation of acceptance within one week of interviewing.
The teaching period for the doctoral program starts at the end of September 2023.
Funding available for doctorates starting in 2023 (cohort 17)
- In 2023, a number of “Mind & Brain” scholarships will be available to the best applicants.
- We also hope to be able to offer two DAAD GSSP scholarships for international students.
- Students with an Einstein Center for Neurosciences (ECN) PhD Fellowship (please check the ECN website) may join the school after the first six months of lab rotations.
- Students accepted into our program but not selected for one of the aforementioned funding sources will receive intensive advice, support and in some cases tie-over funding in order to be able to successfully apply for and join the school with external funding/scholarships.
- Students may also apply and be accepted if they bring their own funding to the school, e.g. a scholarship from a funding organization or funding through their doctoral supervisor's projects.