Applications must be submitted through the ONLINE APPLICATION TOOL.
Please read the instructions below first!
The following information will required
(1) Personal data
Your name, DOB, address, telephone numbers, etc. as well as information in previous contacts with labs in Berlin (e.g., have you been working in a lab in Berlin on a lab rotation?).
(2) Your education history
Your education history includes:
- transcripts of records
- certificates or diplomas completed
- your complete final Master’s thesis (if available)
- English-language summary of your thesis (max. 2–3 pages).
- If a thesis is not available yet: a published paper or a paper in manuscript demonstrating your academic writing skills
(3) IMPORTANT: File upload (PDF or Word files)
- Individual file size: max 5 MB
- File name: max. 30 characters, no spaces, no special characters
- No protected files!
(4) Proof of proficiency in English for non-native speakers
Our doctoral program is conducted in English. If you are a non-native English speaker we require proof of your proficiency. During the online application, please upload either a TOEFL or an IELTS certificate. The minimum score required for a TOEFL paper-based test is 550. The minimum score for the TOEFL internet-based test is 79–80. Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin's TOEFL code is 8167. For the IELTS the overall band score should be 6.5. Exception: Proof of English-speaking MA studies.
Knowledge of German is not a prerequisite for studying at the School. We would, however, like to know your proficiency (if any) in the language.
(5) Personal statement of motivation
You will have to state your motivation for participation in the Mind and Brain program. Please also describe your previous experience of transdisciplinary work at the interface of mind and brain research.
- 1 page
- Times New Roman
- 12 point
- Single spacing
(6) Detailed project idea / research proposal
You will have to hand in a research proposal (for details, see Requirements).
(7) Suggestions for supervisors
You will be asked to list suggestions for max. three supervisors. For more information, please read the section on Supervisors under Requirements.
(8) Research topic
Please state with which research topic(s) listed on our website your research proposal relates to (for topics see Research).
Two letters of reference will be needed! Please send our guidelines for recommendation letters to your two referees. You will have to enter their names and affiliations into our database during the online application process.
Please ask them to send a signed letter of reference (as a scan/pdf by e-mail, or by fax or by post) to:
Fax: +49 30 2093-1802 (attn. Dr. Inken Dose)
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Berlin School of Mind and Brain
Dr. Inken Dose
Unter den Linden 6
10099 Berlin, Germany