Scientific soft-skill / key competencies courses
Doctoral candidates of the Berlin School of Mind and Brain will have to take four scientific soft-skill courses, developed and conducted in collaboration with Humboldt Graduate School (HGS) and usually offered separately for natural sciences/life sciences and social sciences/humanities. These courses are also called key competencies courses, or transferable skills courses. These terms mean the same thing.
Mandatory scientific soft-skill courses / key competencies courses
(1) Good Scientific Practice (first year). Pick one of these courses: Research responsibility / On doing sound and ethical science / Data publishing / Research data management / Effizienter und (plagiats)sicherer Umgang mit Fachliteratur
Recommended: Basic online course (not a substitute for the above), see our webpage Good Scientific Practice
(2) Scientific presentation (first year). Pick one of these courses: Scientific presenting / Presenting successfully in an academic environment / Slide writing & storylining / Scientific communication
(3) Scientific writing (second year). Pick one of these courses: Scientific writing / Academic writing / Professionalizing science research writing in English / Optimizing writing strategies for publishing research in English / Writing abstracts / Writing review articles / Publishing research articles
(4) Grant-proposal writing (third year)
Rules and regulations for attending HGS courses
(1) Your registration with Humboldt Graduate School is binding!
(2) M&B has to pay approx. € 250 € per day for each participant.
– To prevent incurring costs for our program, participation must be cancelled at least 14 days in advance by writing to hgs-workshops-please remove this email@example.com
and mb-education-please remove this firstname.lastname@example.org
– A cancellation owing to illness at less than 14 days in advance is only acceptable with a doctor’s certificate.
(4) The list of available workshops can be found here: HGS workshops
(5) M&B doctoral candidates registered at Freie Universität Berlin or TU Berlin may also register for courses at their universitities. A certificate of successful attendance is required when asking for reimbursement from M&B.
Optional scientific soft-skill / key competencies courses
Participation in other than the mandatory soft-skill courses offered by Humboldt Graduate School (HGS) may be possible, but is subject to the availabiltity of M&B funding for this purpose. (Remember: One course day costs the school € 250 per participant.)
Once you register, HGS will clear your participation in the courses listed below and other non-mandatory courses with the M&B management before confirming any of these courses to you. However, quite often there are also HGS courses which are free of charge and which you may attend with prior consultation with us.
Additional courses available at HGS include:
– Communication in intercultural and interdisciplinary teams
– Media training
– Career management
– Project management / Get your things done / Getting started
– Didactics / Teaching skills for junior scientists
– Dissertation coaching
– Preparing for the disputation
– Business start-up courses
The list of all available workshops can be found here: HGS workshops