General information on funding
(1) We do not admit students into the program without funding.
(2) The Berlin School of Mind and Brain can offer a number of scholarships (between 5 and 10 each year, depending on the availability of funds).
(3) The Mind & Brain scholarships are awarded in a highly competetive precedure among the applications for 15 January.
(4) All applicants hoping for a Mind & Brain scholarship are therefore asked to apply also for external funding.
(5) If applicants have secured, or are in the process of securing, external funding (e.g. a scholarship, or a research position with one of their supervisors) they immediately should inform the management of the School.
(6) Successful applicants who did not receive a Mind & Brain scholarship will receive time until the program start in October to secure funding.
(7) Depending on the applicant’s individual profile and interest funding for the three-year program can consist of a full scholarship (from a funding agency or by the Berlin School of Mind and Brain - see below) or a research and/or teaching post with their supervisor.
Information on funding for doctoral studies in English
The Mind & Brain scholarship
It is not a prerequisite for a successful application that applicants bring their own funding to the program. However, students will not be able to start the program until sufficient funding (min. 1,000 euro per month) has been secured for at least two years.
Each year, the Berlin School of Mind and Brain can offer five to seven scholarships. Currently, monthly scholarships are set at 1,150 euro plus generous travel grant opportunities and child support (if applicable) throughout the doctoral course.
Further information: mb-admission-please remove this email@example.com
PhD Fellowships Einstein Center for Neurosciences (ECN)
The ECN's annual deadline is 15 January. After being accepted by ECN students can apply to join the Berlin School of Mind and Brain.
Central advice office for young researchers at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin central office
Career advice, advising for third-party funded research and scholarships, announcements and information for science awards, young laureates and networks
Website with further information on services and scholarships/awards, postdoc portal, blog, newsletter
Scientific Officer Young Researchers: Dr. Uta Hoffmann, uta.hoffmann-please remove this firstname.lastname@example.org
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Caroline von Humboldt Grant Programme
The Caroline von Humboldt Grant Programme provides female doctoral students and graduates with flexible grants. Applications may be submitted twice a year, in January and June.
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: General information on funding for doctoral studies
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Research tracks
Graduates from other universities may also be funded if they pursue a doctorate at Humboldt-Universität. The program offers funding for the transition phase between the end of a Master’s program and the beginning of doctoral studies. Requirements for funding are excellent academic results and an original, high-quality research proposal. Applications may be submitted during the Master’s studies but funding can only start after graduation. The scholarship helps recipients to focus on the preparation of their research proposal for their doctorate.
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
Information about different funding opportunities, grants for research and a scholarship database: www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/en/
The portal contains information on job and funding opportunities.
The ELFI database collects comprehensive information from the internet with the help of software-robots that explore websites for relevant information on research funding, e.g. grants, scholarships and awards, all other kinds of funding that contribute to support scientists to finance their projects.
Elsa Neumann scholarship
The state of Berlin’s Elsa Neumann scholarship issues scholarships or special grants to particularly qualified young researchers and artists for up to three years.
Research in Germany: Funding programs for doctoral students
A selection of funding programs for international doctoral candidates (various funding agencies)
Scholarship opportunities for students from Israel
Minerva Foundation (www.minerva.mpg.de/)
Information on funding for doctoral studies in German
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Promotionsförderung
(general information on scholarship opportunities)
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Stellenausschreibungen
(jobs for young researchers at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
Stipendiendatenbank des Bundesministeriums für Bildung und Wissenschaft
(scholarship database offered by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research)
Suchdienst für Stipendien in deutschsprachigen und skandinavischen Ländern (meta search engine with a search screen for scholarships in German-speaking and Skandinavian countries)
Informationen zu diversen Stipendienanbietern und Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen (Information on various scholarships and application requirements)
Labyrinth der Links
(some evaluative commentaries on different foundations, in English and German)
Gemeinnützige Initiative zweier Doktoranden für transparente Studienförderung (very detailed scholarship database)