1 - Extrospection and the Neural Correlates of Consciousness (NCCs)
PI: Professor Dr. Michael Pauen
Almost two decades ago the search for the neural correlates of consciousness (NCCs) was initiated. The basic idea was to sidestep theoretical disagreements and collect empirical data instead which might eventually help to improve our understanding of consciousness. Problems regarding extrospection, that is, the acquisition of objective data regarding subjective experience, were among the key issues in the debate.
We invite project proposals that try to investigate whether or not a better understanding of extrospection can support the search for the NCCs and may even contribute to improving our theories of conscious experience.
Requirements for research topic 1
(1) The desire to engage with and contribute to international scientific literature,
(2) The ability to engage with relevant philosophical, psychological and neuroscientific literature,
(3) Familiarity with contemporary literature in philosophy of mind and relevant research in neuroscience and psychology,
(4) Willingness and aptitude for interdisciplinary interaction and collaboration,
(5) Willingness to fully participate in the research, education and training program of the RTG,
(6) Proficiency in English,
(7) Master's degree in a relevant field.
Applications for research topic 1
(1) A proposal for a doctoral project within research topic 1: “Extrospection and the neural correlates of consciousness” (max. 5 pages in Arial 11, single spaced, margins: at least 2 cm on all sides; plus max. 3 pages bibliographic references),
(2) A meaningful letter of motivation (max 2 pages),
(3) Full academic CV,
(4) Copies/scans of Bachelor's and Master's certificates; if you haven't completed your Master's degree yet, please provide a timeline and transcripts,
(5) Transcript of records for Master's degree,
(6) Two letters of reference should be sent directly to the program coordinator (see below).
Please send the above in one PDF file of no more than 7 MB.
Please name the file as follows: YourName_RTG_Topic1_NCCs
Deadline for applicants
14 December 2020, 23:59:59 CET
2 Letters of Reference required / Guidelines
Please send our guidelines to your referees: DOWNLOAD GUIDELINES TOPIC 1-NCCs.DOCX
Referees should send their letters of reference directly to: Dr. Dirk Mende, Program coordinator, Fax +49 30 2093-89751, mb-extrospection-please remove this firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for referees: 18 December 2020, 23:59:59 CET