How to apply for 2023 (cohort 17)
Please go to the page Requirements and read the page carefully. It explains the information and documents that will be requested during the application via our Online Application Tool. We only accept applications made through the Online Application Tool.
>> Please do not send any documents to us directly unless we specifically ask for them!
Online tool opens for applications for 2023
Thursday, 1 December 2022, 00:01 a.m. CET
Application deadline for applications for 2023 (cohort 17)
Sunday, 15 January 2023, 23:59:59 CET
Faculty available for supervision (this list is from 2022 and just an indication; it will be adjusted for 2023): read here (internal link)
Information on funding opportunities: read here (internal link)
Timeline for the application and admission processes in 2023
The online application tool will re-open on 1 December 2022 and close on 15 January 2023.
The online interviews for applicants researching the second round will take place on 23 March 2023 (via Zoom).
Invitations and further instructions for the interview stage probably will be sent out at the end of February 2023.
(In-person interviews in Berlin: Invited applicants will receive financial reimbursement for all or part of their travel expenses, depending on circumstances. Invitations will be sent out at least 4 weeks in advance to allow for visa applications.)
Successful applicants usually will receive their confirmation of acceptance within one week of interviewing.
The teaching period for the doctoral program starts at the end of September 2023 / 1 October 2023.
Funding available for doctorates starting in 2023 (cohort 17)
- In 2023, two DAAD-GSSP four-year scholarships will be available for international students, see Funding.
- In 2023, a number of “Mind & Brain” Grant Packages will be available to the best applicants, see Funding.
- Students with an Einstein Center for Neurosciences (ECN) PhD Fellowship (separate application process, please check the ECN website) may join the school after the first six months of lab rotations within the ECN program.
- Students accepted into our program but not selected for one of the aforementioned funding sources will receive intensive advice, support and in some cases tie-over funding in order to be able to successfully apply for and join the school with external funding/scholarships.
- Students may also apply and be accepted if they bring their own funding to the school, e.g. a scholarship from a funding organization or funding through their doctoral supervisor's projects.